We started our first day in the city with an indulgent trip to Valor Chocolateria for rich hot chocolate con churros.
Thursday, January 5, 2012
A Peek at Madrid
I had the opportunity to travel with an amazing group of ladies to Madrid.
We started our first day in the city with an indulgent trip to Valor Chocolateria for rich hot chocolate con churros.




Plaza Mayor
Plaza Mayor is a central market square and a top tourist attraction in Madrid. It is of interesting historical significance. While now it is benign and home to shopping and dining opportunities, this arena was a gathering place for soccer matches, bull fights and even the dreaded Spanish Inquisition executions.


The official residence of King Juan Carlos, who actually does not reside here but in another palace on the outskirts of Madrid. Too bad, because it is very accomodating with its 2800 rooms. It is the largest palace in Europe. We were able to tour part of this mega mansion, but sadly could not take photographs inside.
Sobrino de Botin is listed by Guiness as the oldest continuous restaurant in the world, dating back to 1725. Rumor has it that Francisco de Goya worked here as a waiter. Check out their specialty below....
Platters of roast suckling pig!!!!
Our downstairs seating where I opted for a salad over the swine speciality.

I couldn't resist a photo with Hello Kitty. This one is for the girls.
I had heard from military friends about the spanish culture, but I didn't really believe how nocturnal they are. It is true. Here's how the streets look at midnight. I think the party outside our hotel died about the time we were getting up at 6:00 A.M.
If you go to Madrid, be sure to take in a Flamenco dancing venue. We went to Las Carboneras. It was unique and entertaining and to be honest, a little comical. Our reservation was mixed up and so a few in our group ended up in make-shift seating up front and center. That can be good at times, but under such cirumstances, the drama was too intense and required a lot of self-control on my part. You may have to go to understand.
My favorite....frozen yogurt with the best berry blend topping ever!
The mercado/market with part of our group and some photo crashers.
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the architecture there.

A green wall. Try this one out for insulation and O2.

The infamous artist, Goya.
Picasso's most famous painting, Guernica on display at the Reina Sofia Museum.
For non art-history buffs, this painting depicts symbols of the Spanish Civil War. It was interesting to see all the stages this art took to get to it's final state.

The Bear and the Modrono tree in Puerta del Sol. There is a story.....
We started our first day in the city with an indulgent trip to Valor Chocolateria for rich hot chocolate con churros.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh Spain, how I love Spain. My mom and I went to Madrid and Barcelona back in my single globetrotting days. I think it was the favorite vacation for both of us.
If you get the chance to go to Barcelona, definitely take it!
Suzanne it sure is fun to catch up with your photos! Hope all is well
LaRae
Post a Comment